Monday, October 6, 2008

PyOpenGL blunders

I was sorting though some old files recently and I came across some screen shots from of the first real programs I ever wrote using OpenGL back in my Python days. Since they were kind of funny I thought I would post them for the amusement of the readers.

The project was to render an electrostatic potential map on a VDW surface using atomic charges calculated with GAMESS (a computational chemistry package for all of you non-chemists). To create a prototype I had to manually issue the vertices for each atom sphere so that the color of the vertex could be set. Manually drawing the spheres required issuing the points in the order required to create the triangle strips used to approximate the spheres. This proved more challenging than I had anticipated....



























The Death Star here is my favorite!













And finally success! This is the oxygen in H2O.

No comments: